Active Listening – DiA Tips and Hints
“The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.” Ralph Nichols
Some time ago we created a DiA Tips and Hints guide on the topic of Active Listening. Some people have been asking about some tips to help them with their active listening, so we thought we’d put the tips in a DiA post.
I am on track if:
- I remove distractions and make a commitment to actively listen to others
- I notice what is said – both verbally and non-verbally
- I paraphrase, summarise and check my understanding
Warning signs are if:
- I do more talking than listening!
- I ‘pretend’ I am listening when I am really thinking about something else!
- I forget what people have told me or have to ask them to repeat themselves
This tips and hints guide provides some further information about active listening, and provides some practical tips to help you improve this important skill. It also includes a simple self assessment to help you test just how well you listen!