DiA Tips and Hints – More Effective Meetings
“Do or do not … there is no try.” Yoda
I don’t like to spend time in endless meetings talking about stuff that isn’t going to get anything done. I have meetings, but they’re short, prompt and to the point. Eli Broad, Fortune 500 entrepreneur
Do you run effective meetings?
Yes? No? How do you know?
You are on track if:
- your meetings achieve their articulated purpose
- you involve the right people and each fulfil their role
- you manage time effectively, participants feel a suitable process was followed and there was value in their participation
- people are clear about decisions that have been made and commit to what needs to be done in the agreed time frame
Warning signs are if:
- lots of decisions are made in the meeting but nothing actually gets done!
- people feel the meeting was not of value – ‘a waste of time’
- the right people are not contributing to discussions
- we think meetings are the primary way to meet a ‘need’. Other mechanisms may be more effective and appropriate.
This DiA tips and hints guide identifies 7 critical success factors for effective meetings, as well as tips about what to do before, during and after the meeting. It also offers some tips for remote meetings.
Click here to access this tips and hints guide.
Click here to see other blogs on effective meetings.